The Wemyss family have a long standing involvement in golf. They were founder members of the R&A and bought Gosford Estate in 1784 in order to be closer to good golfing ground, which in those days was played over the links or natural bents.
This tradition continues today and the Estate have invested over £4.5 million over the past 10 years in developing Craigielaw Golf Club in East Lothian from the former farm and steading at Craigielaw. The new accommodation lodge is the latest phase to be completed and provides 25 letting bedrooms. The Club is one of Scotland’s leading golf resorts.
Craigielaw provides employment for 20 full time and 25 part time members of staff. The golf course is managed by a team of seven green keepers, which includes two full time apprentice positions. These positions are made available to school leavers and the practical “on the job” training is complimented by formal block or day release college training provided in association with Elmwood College. Training is usually completed over a two or three year period depending on level of qualification.
Since opening the Club in 2001, the Estate has taken on 12 apprentice green keepers and five apprentice golf professionals.